Hair care routine to control dandruff
We have got good news and bad news! Dandruff and hair loss are very common problems that happen to 1 in every 5 individuals, but the good news is that Ayurveda can help. The most common reason why dandruff happens is because of an oily scalp that you can attribute to your genes or it may be an outcome of your lifestyle. Nevertheless, It can be a pretty embarrassing problem for everyone, irrespective of age or gender. Thankfully, a lot has been done and said about treating and controlling dandruff for 5000 years since Ayurveda began. And, here we have some of the most effective ones shortlisted for you to start applying from today itself.
And the best thing about these Hair Care routines to control dandruff is that instead of treating the problem, these will help you prevent the problem from happening in the first place.
Understanding the causes of dandruff and hair fall
But, before we start doling out the home remedies, let's begin with understanding the cause for hair loss and dandruff. because, unless you know the causes, you are going to need to apply these home remedies over and over again.
- Your diet and lifestyle: With all skin problems, which dandruff is one, the problem does not start immediately, instead it is the result of a long drawn process that is directly affected by your diet and lifestyle. Aggressive application of hair care products and chemical based shampoo used for hair straighteners, hair cells are often connected with degrading the quality of hair, as well as the scalp underneath. On top of that, your diet is also very crucial in keeping your scalp nourished or undernourished! Take a moment to think of how much attention you have been paying to what you eat, especially to keep your hair and scalp healthy?
- Stress and anxiety: One of the most overlooked yet prominent problems that is directly connected with head loss and other hair problems is not being able to deal with stress and anxiety of daily life. Stress is a precursor to many health problems, and it starts with small things such as hair loss and dandruff. Believe it or not, stress is connected with throwing your subtle energies out of balance. It has been found that people who are under constant stress, have a completely disbalanced proportion of all 3 subtle energies namely: Vata, Pitta and Kapha.
- Lack of sleep: If you are not getting enough sleep every night, chances are that a lot of things are going wrong inside your body too. Hair loss and dandruff are just on the surface of things, but you can be pretty sure that your metabolism and Digestion are also suffering from the lack of adequate rest. Your body converts nutrition into necessary body tissues and cells when you are asleep, and therefore you need to sleep at least 5 to 6 hours everyday.
Ayurvedic routine to control hair fall and dandruff
- Oil your hair twice every week: Wait what? Didn't we just tell you to stop keeping your scalp oily? Well, obviously these are two different things. When your scalp becomes oily naturally, it is a result of sebum excreted by your skin cells. On the other hand, what we are suggesting is to keep your hair properly oil with nourishing oils such as coconut, Sesame or bhringraj oil. Make it a habit to oil your hair every Friday and take a bath the next day to keep your hair nice and silky, as well as clean at the roots. Oiling your hair also helps in activating the blood cells underneath the scalp which promotes the flow of nutrients to the scalp. This will also help in keeping your hair strongly rooted at the scalp. Since hair fall and dandruff are totally connected with each other, this practice will help you in the long run and prevent hair loss as well as the formation of dandruff.
- The need for Neem: it is a well known fact that dandruff results from bacterial and fungal infections that can happen on your scalp due to excessive sweating, or lack of cleaning it regularly. overtime bacteria starts proliferating on your scalp in huge amounts which starts eating your scalp cells. to prevent them from becoming a huge problem, start taking a bath with Neem infused water kama or you can also make a paste of neem and apply it directly on your hair and keep it on for 10 to 15 minutes and then washed away with normal room temperature water. You can also try using a Deep Cleansing Scal Scrub from Sheopals.
- Food for dandruff control: what you eat is obviously going to be very important to keep your dandruff in check. One of the primary reasons for dandruff is an excess consumption of fat, oily and spicy foods. If possible go on a completely fresh fruit based diet for a week. You can then gradually introduce cooked foods into your menu after your body has detoxified and balance the presence of toxins in your body. Smoking and drinking alcohol for about a month and see that change in your overall health and beauty.
Bonus tips: Neem, Amla, Hibiscus, Lemon, green moong, fenugreek, Reetha, shikakai are some of the most commonly recommended herbs and food items for healthy and beautiful hair, as well as to treat the problem of dandruff. Therefore, it goes without saying that you must add these to your daily routine. And also, if possible, reduce the use of chemical based shampoos and start using Ayurvedic Hair products for a change.
Add Ghee and Omega 3 supplements in your diet for added benefits.